Morgan and Lauren’s engagement session took place in Durham, North Carolina at the Sarah P. Duke Gardens. We eventually made our way over to Duke University where we caught the most magical sunset lighting. It was the perfect back drop for the cutest couple! I can not wait for their October Wedding this year in Raleigh, North Carolina!
Congratulations! You're ENGAGED! You've probably hired a wedding photographer and scheduled a date for your Engagement photos. And then you probably went on Pinterest searching " Engagement Photo Outfit Ideas " Well I'm here to make this easy for you!
What better person to ask, than a photographer who sees things from behind the lens. Through out the years, I have learned all of the tips and tricks to choosing the perfect outfit to nail your session! So here are my favorite 7 Tips to choosing the perfect outfit!
1.) CHOOSE LIGHT COLORS
Light colored clothing always photographs better than darker clothing! That doesn't mean you can't wear black or dark colors to your session. I'm just saying lighter colors reflect more light onto your skin and photographs nicely! So consider neutral tones, pastel colors or cool hues. And you can always add a pop of color with your accessories! ( You can't go wrong with a flowy white or cream colored dress! )
2.) SOLID COLORS
Solid neutrals photographs better than prints. Prints, patterns and graphics can be somewhat distracting in photos. But it doesn't mean ALL patterns are bad. Just remember, the larger the pattern, the better. Take plaid for example. The smaller checkered print plaid appears much busier in photos than large print plaid. Same rule applies when it comes to florals and stripes. The larger the floral print, the better! So if one of you decides to wear a print, I would recommend the other to wear a solid neutral to balance each other out!
3.) COORDINATING vs MATCHING
Wear colors that complement each other instead of the "matchy matchy" look. Avoid both wearing the same color top to bottom. For example : Both wearing denim bottoms with a white colored top. Mix it up!
There are many different ways to add some personality into your Engagement photos. Have fun with some accessories! It can be anything from a hat, a statement jewelry piece, or a bold lipstick color. Layers and textures are your friends! Layering different pieces and mixing in textures are always a great way to accessorize your outfit!
5.) TREAT YOURSELF!
Always wanted to get your hair and makeup professionally done? Here's your moment! I can't think of a better time to feel extra special and dolled up than taking pictures with your fiancé! Ever try fake eyelashes? Go for it! It makes all the difference in those pretty close up photos! Even consider getting a manicure to show off that new ring bling! And if you really want to stand out, "borrow" a jaw dropping dress from an online rental website like Rent The Runway or Le Tote !
Want to add a little something to you session!? Let's treat your session like a Styled Shoot! A styled shoot is where we incorporate a few more vendors, props and creatives into the mix. It adds a little more flare to just the basic photoshoot. Examples can include : Adding a mini bouquet ( this one is my favorite! I have a lot of florist friends that I would love to recommend ) , adding an invitation suite or your save the date card, a ring box and ribbon for some pretty ring shots, a cozy picnic display with your favorite wine and cheese platter, incorporating a bicycle/car/motorcycle into your photos, a basket full of wildflowers, etc. The list can go on. But if you're interested, let's make it extra unique and special!
7.) BE YOU!
This is the most important tip! Be true to yourself and make this a fun experience! Wear something that makes you feel beautiful and comfortable! If you know you look and feel great in a certain color, wear that color! If wearing heels makes your feel more confident, rock them! Just be true to you!
Okay...So now you know the tips to picking the perfect outfits. And you might be thinking..." Well hopefully I don't look awkward behind that camera!" Don't you worry about a thing! I got you boo! Yes, I will tell you what to do with your hands. Yes, I will adjust your arms or legs into a more flattering pose. Yes, I will make your fiancé feel comfortable even if he dislikes taking photos. Yes, I will pose you in a way that feels natural and not too "posy" or staged. Yes, I will make you both look GOOOD!
Have any other questions? What's my favorite online dress shops!? When can I schedule my Engagement Session with you? Just shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
This wedding was extra special for me because Joshua and Ashley are great friends of my husband and I. We have watched them form into a powerhouse couple, walked with them through their relationship, and got to be on the front row as God has been shaping them into the couple they are today. We are so proud of them and glad we get to call them family!
It was also the second time that my husband did the ceremony while I was the wedding photographer! Josh and Ashley got married on a gorgeous April afternoon here in Raleigh, North Carolina. Their ceremony took place at the WRAL Azalea Gardens and the reception following at the NC State University Club. Their day was so perfect and I'm always honored when friends ask me to capture their wedding day!
A few of my favorite moments from their wedding day include:
1) The happy tears and laughter shared when Josh and Ashley had their private moment praying over each other and exchanging letters. They didn't have a first look, but this moment was just as special!
2) Joshua's face as Ashley walked down the aisle. That is always one of my favorites parts of a wedding day. To see the groom's anxious, excited, semi nervous, and happy reaction. I have to keep it together myself at times!
3) Everything about their ceremony was so beautiful! Other than the fact they had a hot pastor performing the ceremony ( My husband! Lol ) , their ceremony was so moving. They had a time of worship in front of all their closest friends and family before saying " I Do " Everyone who was walking around the Gardens that afternoon stopped in their tracks and had a moment of silence. As I was photographing them both, I looked up to find everyone else in a distance watching as well. The world stopped for those couple of moments as we all worshiped.
4) The golden hour light we had for sunset pictures! I snuck Josh and Ashley out of the reception for about 10 minutes. We stepped right outside on the terrace and had the best lighting. You would of thought they were models out there because they killed their Bride & Groom portrait shots!
David and Meri Scott's wedding took place downtown Raleigh at The Merrimon-Wynne house. This beautiful venue is located right in the heart of historic downtown Raleigh. It's hard to miss when driving by. The house was built in the eighteen hundreds and is super charming and elegant on the inside. Each room is so unique and beautiful in its own way!
I loved getting to know and work with David and Meri Scott. And I especially loved seeing their personalities come out when surrounded by their family and friends. Even though the weather was a little hot, they didn't let it get in the way from having a fabulous evening. And a huge shout out to the amazing creative team who made this day possible. It was Floral Lawn Party Magic!
A few things that I absolutely loved about their special day:
1) How sweet Meri Scott and her bridesmaids were. The day ran so smoothly and we were ahead of schedule. The girls were so easy-going and fun to be around!
2) The flower arrangements! Anna from Meristem Floral is so talented. You can't go wrong with white flowers and greenery. And I have never seen a ceiling look more gorgeous with the floral chandelier that hung in the Carriage House for their ceremony.
3) Meri Scott's non traditional wedding dress from Gilded. Which happens to be my favorite bridal shop in the Raleigh area! The Merrimon-Wynne house was the perfect backdrop to show off that gorgeous dress!
4) Watching David open up his wedding day gift. Meri Scott bought him a pair of glasses that enhances color for anyone with color blindness!
5) And lastly...I now know why Meri Scott wanted to wear sparkly slip on shoes for her wedding day. So she can DANCE! That was probably the highlight of my night. Her and her girls danced like no one was watching! Especially when their special requested song from the movie, Space Jam came on. THE BEST! Joe Bunn from Bunn DJ Company killed it on the dance floor. He had everyone dancing all night!
Honestly, the whole day was just perfect. And I was honored to play a small part in it. Thank you David and Meri Scott for choosing me as your wedding photographer. And Congratulations to you both!
CREATIVE TEAM :
I have been looking forward to Jonah and Shelby's wedding for over a year now! One, because they are some of the sweetest couples! I truly enjoyed their company and presence. And two, because I've been looking forward to photographing a wedding at Merry Hill Farm. And it did not disappoint! The property was so beautiful! I loved the vintage antique feel in the bridal suite, the way the light shined through the trees for that afternoon sun, and how the sun set directly behind the altar during the ceremony.
The whole wedding was just breathtaking! Jonah and Shelby chose to have a First Look and I'm so glad they did! It was the sweetest moment to witness. It also allowed us to capture a ton of gorgeous photos before the ceremony! Congratulations to you both! I'm so glad I was able to play a part in your special day :)